The gut microbiome is like a secret superpower hiding in your gut.
It is a complex and dynamic community of microorganisms that play a crucial role in overall health and well-being. But did you know that each person has a unique gut microbiome, like a fingerprint? Studies have found that even within families, the gut microbiome composition can vary significantly (1).
What Shapes Your Gut Microbiome?
Why is this important? Because the gut microbiome is shaped by a variety of factors, like genes, diet, environment, and lifestyle (2). And what we eat plays a particularly strong role in shaping our gut microbiome. Different kinds of microorganisms grow best on different kinds of foods (3,4). Studies have shown that the gut microbiome does have a certain heritability, which means that certain bacteria are more likely to be found in people with a certain set of genes (1). But genes only explain about 30% of the differences in the gut microbiome (4). This means that these other factors play a big part.
Personalised Nutrition For A Unique Gut
This is where personalised nutrition comes into play. Traditional one-size-fits-all approaches to nutrition may not take into account the unique needs of each person's gut microbiome. But with personalised nutrition, your gut microbiome and along with other factors like your genes, lifestyle, and medical history are taken into account, to make a nutrition plan that fits your unique needs.
One study found that when people were given a personalised nutrition plan based on their gut microbiome, they saw improvements in weight loss and saw improvements in other health markers, such as cholesterol and blood sugar levels (5). While other research has shown that certain types of gut microbiome, can be linked to health problems like obesity and diabetes, making it even more crucial to pay attention to the gut microbiome when creating personalised nutrition plans.
In conclusion, the gut microbiome is a highly individualised ecosystem that plays a crucial role in overall health and well-being. So don't settle for a one-size-fits-all approach to nutrition!
Your unique gut microbiome deserves a personalised nutrition plan tailored to its specific needs, that can unlock its full potential.
Don't just survive, thrive with personalised nutrition!
(1) Schloss, P.D., Iverson, K.D., Petrosino, J.F. et al. The dynamics of a family’s gut microbiota reveal variations on a theme. Microbiome2, 25 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1186/2049-2618-2-25
(2) Rinninella, E., Raoul, P., Cintoni, M., Franceschi, F., Miggiano, G.A.D., Gasbarrini, A., Mele, M.C. (2019). What is the Healthy Gut Microbiota Composition? A Changing Ecosystem across Age, Environment, Diet, and Diseases. Microorganisms, 7(1), 14.
(3) Conlon MA, Bird AR. The impact of diet and lifestyle on gut microbiota and human health. Nutrients. 2014 Dec 24;7(1):17-44. doi: 10.3390/nu7010017. PMID: 25545101; PMCID: PMC4303825.
(4) R. Seal, (2021), Unlocking the ‘gut microbiome’ – and its massive significance to our health. https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jul/11/un...
(5) Zeevi, D., Korem, T., Zmora, N., Halpern, Z., Elinav, E., & Segal, E. (2015). Personalized Nutrition by Prediction of Glycemic Responses. Cell, 163(5), 1079-1094.